A quote from a book I'm reading now, A Good Life, by Ben Bradlee:
"We can prevent one nation's army from moving across the border of another nation. We are strong enough for that. And we are probably strong enough to prevent one nation from unleashing nuclear weapons on another. But we can't prevent infiltration, assassination, sabotage, bribery, any of the weapons of guerrilla warfare." -- JFK, prior to our escalation into the Vietnam War.
Very relevant in today's climate and another example of how we don't learn anything from the past. We are always doomed to repeat our past mistakes.
Just a few morsels proving it:
- "America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman."
- "Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. "
- "For all who love freedom and peace, the world without Saddam Hussein's regime is a better and safer place. "
- "For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible - and no one can now doubt the word of America."
- "Hundreds of thousands of American servicemen and women are deployed across the world in the war on terror. By bringing hope to the oppressed, and delivering justice to the violent, they are making America more secure. "
- "I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon. "
- "I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace."
- "Our nation is somewhat sad, but we're angry. There's a certain level of blood lust, but we won't let it drive our reaction. We're steady, clear-eyed and patient, but pretty soon we'll have to start displaying scalps."
- "The terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States - and war is what they got. "
- "The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty because freedom is their greatest fear - and they should be afraid, because freedom is on the march. "
- "The tyrant has fallen, and Iraq is free. "
- "With those attacks, the terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States. And war is what they got. "
- "Bring them on."
You can easily guess the author of these quotes.
Do you feel safer? I don't.