Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Pioneer Spirit

I went and helped my folks put the trusses on the shed that they were building this weekend. Here they are, Dad 60+ and Mom pushing 60, having already built a house on their own and eager to start more projects. They’re great.

They almost live "off-the-grid". They have no debt of any kind. They paid for their current property in cash and have bought and sold two previous properties in a similar manner. They own two vehicles and two tractors free and clear.

They are largely apolitical but probably tend towards libertarian ... even though they wouldn't even know what that meant. They probably think that I'm a bit too "big-city" but they can hopefully see in me their best characteristics: personal responsibility, integrity, honesty, not judging people by their race or station in life, frugalness, enjoyment of nature, etc.

They, I believe, voted for Bush in the past election but not out of any evangelical fervor (they’re agnostic) but rather they probably felt it was the patriotic thing to do. Dad was in the Vietnam War and my brother was in the first Gulf War. They don't read underground internet blogs or read alternative news sources but get their news from their local network news and the Arizona Republic. And we all know that you won't really learn what's going on in the world there. It brings to mind a conversation I had with Mom concerning Michael Moore. I had mentioned that they should see "Bowling for Columbine" or "Fahrenheit 9/11" and she had commented that wasn't he that disheveled guy who hated the U.S.? Well, she was half-right. The point is that she didn't come to her conclusion from having actually seen one of his movies but rather from some unflattering biased TV show. I truly believe that if she had seen one of those movies, she would have a different opinion. Most people will believe what they are told from the government and the mainstream media. And who’s to blame them? In a perfect world, they should be able to believe those sources.

I usually don't broach political subjects with them because I know there may be a disagreement and that they really don't like talking about politics. But in the case of Terry Schiavo, I was pretty sure that our opinions were not that different. My folks like to kid that if one of them ever got terminal cancer and were suffering, the other one would take them out in the desert and end it right there for both of them. Kind of dark, admittedly. But it illustrates several points: 1. They would not want to continue in a suffering state 2. They do not want to be a burden on anyone 3. They want that final important decision to rest with the person who knows them best ... their spouse.

Anyway, didn’t mean to get all serious. Alex and I had a great time at their place this weekend and I was able to help Dad with the shed. Here are some pics from the weekend. Click on any of them to get a larger image.

No comments: