Thursday, June 01, 2006

Be Afraid

"We are never deceived; we deceive ourselves." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


A lot of people would think that the U.S. agreeing to talks with Iran concerning their nuclear program would be encouraging. Kinda like the U.S. agreeing to allow weapons inspectors into Iraq in the lead up to that war. Pardon me for not being able to take this administration at face value. Why should we trust them when not one single word out of their mouth in the last 5 years has been honest? They are floating the talks as a way to say that they "tried" before going in and bombing the hell out of Iran. I hope I'm wrong.

If our actual goal was stemming the tide of nuclear proliferation, why are we trying to hold Iran to standards that we won't hold Israel, Egypt, Syria and Saudi Arabia to?


And if diplomacy was an actual option, we would not have an uncultured boob like U.N. Ambassador John Bolton saying that unilateral military action was "on the table" and that “This is put up or shut up time for Iran.” Sounds an awful lot like "bring 'em on".

Heaven help us.

"I think there is a good reason why the propaganda system works that way. It recognizes that the public will not support the actual policies. Therefore it is important to prevent any knowledge or understanding of them." -- Noam Chomsky

5 comments:

Laura said...

It's a giant game of tic tac toe, I think... I mean, Iran is right between Iraq and Afghanistan... (sigh)

CyberKitten said...

Any attack on Iran would make the decision to invade Iraq look sensible.

I shudder to think what the consequences for the world would be.

dbackdad said...

Even the Right's own lunatic fringe is getting smaller. The majority of their base surely wouldn't go for another invasion ... right ... please say I'm right. Please. :-(

Laura said...

dback: You're right... but that won't matter when they use the gay marriage issue to "get out the vote" again this year... All the crazies will come back out of the woodwork and scare the normal conservatives back into the flock with Orange Alerts and the idea of homos adopting children...

dbackdad said...

Laura,
I love your exchange with Asher on JA's blog on that very subject. I have to bite my lip every time Asher posts there because every single time it's something idiotic and incendiary. If I didn't know better, I'd think he didn't really believe what he was saying and was just trying to be a contrarian. But after reading his comments over the last year, I'd have to think he truly believes the tripe he spouts. I've resisted engaging him because I'd have to violate one of JA's rules and start an ad hominem attack.