Sunday, February 12, 2012

2012 VNSA Used Book Sale

A sampling of my finds from our yearly trek to the VNSA Used Book Sale:


Sci-Fi
Virtual Light by William Gibson (one of my favorite authors. This is the last book of his that I did not have.)


The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman
The Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies by John Scalzi





Science Non-Fiction

Lavoisier in the Year One: The Birth of a New Science in an Age of Revolution by Madison Smartt Bell



The Meaning of It All: Thoughts of a Citizen-Scientist by Richard Feynman
Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law by Peter Woit
They All Laughed ... Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions that have Changed Our Lives by Ira Flatow
eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet by Bill McKibben

General Non-Fiction & Philosophy

AThe Lord of the Rings and Philosophy Edited by Gregory Bassham and Eric Bronson


The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm
The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America by Jonathan Kozol
This Game of Ghosts: The Sequel to Touching the Void by Joe Simpson (yet another book about mountain climbing ... I love these!)
The End of Oil: On the Ege of a Perilous New World by Paul Roberts



The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot by Naomi Wolf
Render Unto Darwin: Philosophical Aspects fo the Christian Rights' Crusade against Science by James H. Fetzer
Modern Architecture: since 1900 by William J. R. Curtis
Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Hinders Scientific Progress ... by Michael Specter (Wunelle had turned me on to this book and I was thrilled to find it)



"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance." -- Confucius

3 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Some good reading ahead!

... and I love the Confucius quote.

wstachour said...

Quite a haul! The End of Oil seems intriguing.

And I quite agree with CK: Love the Confucius quote!

dbackdad said...

Yeah, I obviously liked the quote as well. I tried to source it as best as I could.

I'm really looking forward to reading Denialism. The Render Unto Darwin ... book sounded intriguing as well. I'm always interested in the larger philosophical view on modern events.