Thursday, November 16, 2006

Organic Foods/Wal-Mart


Yep, I was just about to begrudgingly give Wal-Mart credit for greatly increasing their organic foods offerings. Although they were ultimately doing it for profit reasons, it was an opportunity to expose the masses to the benefits of eating organic. But like the earlier instance where Wal-Mart seemingly did something positive environmentally by promising to protect wildlife habitat for every store they build, the promise and the result are two different things. Ultimately, with Wal-Mart, it is about consumer perception and not a sense of real civic duty. And questioning where things come from (China, huge factory organic farms) doesn't seem to be high on the list of Wal-Mart's traditional demographic.

Wal-Mart Charged with Selling Nonorganic Food as Organic; Group Asks USDA to Fully Investigate Organic Product Misrepresentation

Quit shopping at this place. It's like buying a beer for your alcoholic uncle. By frequenting this place, you are an enabler. You're telling the owners of Wal-Mart that it is OK to make a profit at any cost ... wages, insurance, environment, truth be damned.

Speaking of enablers, retard Bill O'Reilly is applauding Wal-Mart for reinstating "Merry Christmas" as a greeting. It's part of his annual "War on Christmas" rant. Either he doesn't realize or he is ignoring the fact that Wal-Mart isn't doing it as a nod to Christians or "traditional" Christmas culture. Like every other decision Wal-Mart makes, they were doing it for a financial reason. Let's get portrayed as the "Christian" store and see the profits roll in. Is it any surprise that Wal-Mart is the 3rd largest contributor to the Republican Party? Pretending to be pious and screwing everything else for financial motives are part and parcel for them.

3 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

Ugh. Bill O' Reilly. "War on Christmas". Ugh.
Is it wrong to be proud of the fact that I've never shopped in a Wal*Mart?
I like your little poster for this post.

dbackdad said...

I like saying "Merry Christmas". I have no problem with people saying Merry Christmas ... but just don't tell me that there is a "war on Christmas". If some businesses choose to acknowledge that not all people are Christians and want to say "Happy Holidays", that's cool too. For being so critical of the victim mentality, ol' Bill is sure acting like a victim.

I wish I could say that I had "never" shopped at Wal-Mart. I didn't wise up until about 3 years ago.

Sadie Lou said...

It's funny because my not shopping at Wal*Mart has nothing to do with all the scandal and everything to do with how lame it is. I felt icky in that store. I think I walked around in it for about 10 minutes before I fled. I have that sense about certain places--the other one being Toys-R-Us and the indoor play gyms at McDonalds.
I totally hear ya on the "Happy Holidays" thing.