Sunday, May 20, 2007

LibraryThing


This is admittedly a bit nerdy and probably the only person who will find it mildly interesting is CK because of his shared affinity of books, but I found this cool site today called LibraryThing. It's a site that allows you to catalog all your books online, share it and view other people's shared libraries. Since I'd just recently bought another bookcase, I was looking for a way to keep track of the books that I had and to make it easier to separate them by categories. Searching around, I came upon it, immediately registered and I have been adding books to the collection all night. It makes it very easy by allowing you to search by ISBN #, author, title, etc. and it will fill in all the extra info. Evidently, LibraryThing's been around for a few years and is the most popular site of it's type, but I had not heard of it before. The site is free for up to 200 books. Above that is a $10 a year or $25 lifetime membership.

Here's my shared library. I'm just getting started with the adding of my books.

dbackdad's library

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." -- Desiderious Erasmus


"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." -- Ray Bradbury

5 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Hello everyone... My Name's Cyberkitten & I'm a Book Nerd...

[snigger].

I've heard of the Library Thing from some other Blogs I visit & it did cross my mind to add mine to it... then I though about how long it would take me... I've actually produced a Access Database with my fiction books on - and I'm managing to keep that pretty much up to date. I'll get around to my non-fiction at some point - maybe over the long dark Winter nights [grin]. I was actually surprised at the low number of fiction books I have: a mere 2455. Though that also includes about 800 that I haven't read yet......

I'll check out your library later... after I've had my breakfast....

dbackdad said...

The first step is admitting you have a problem. lol.

I'm honestly not sure how many I have ... though I know I'm not even close to your amount. I'm mostly working through my non-fiction first.

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: The first step is admitting you have a problem. lol.

Oh, it's been said before - many times. I *am* a Bookaholic. [grin]

I think I have probably over 1000 works of non-fiction. I'm getting rid of some of them (slowly) though to make room for the flood that I know is coming my way. Starting a new University course is a great excuse for handing over *many* hundreds of dollars to Amazon!

You pulling another late one?

Laura said...

I've only recently become a book nerd. Before now, I never had time to read anything other than for classes (when I was going full time). Now that 1) my academic interests parallel my person ones and 2) I take the train 40 min each way to work and 3) I have time to read non-class books since I take one class at a time, I've noticed my collection growing and growing. I'll have to check out this site.

Another good quote about books: Salman Rushdie said to Irshad Manji whe she was interviewing him for her documentary, about dealing with threats to their lives for their ideas: Ideas are more important than people. You can kill a person, but once an idea is written down, it's with us forever.

dbackdad said...

Good quote.