Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat

An unexpected confluence of a persistent interest of mine and a public event occurred this week. As mentioned previously, I'm currently reading A Good Life, by Ben Bradlee. This is a continuation of my long running interest in politics in general and presidential politics in particular that began in high school with my reading of All the President's Men by Woodward and Bernstein (Bradlee being the Post publisher when Watergate happened). Well, that interest came to a head this week with the revealing of W. Mark Felt as Deep Throat. My interest in Watergate was obsessive for several years after reading Woodward and Bernstein's book and I've since read about 20 books on the subject. It really was the formative subject that revealed to me that politics could be sexy. And that individuals could influence the course of a whole nation.

No comments: