Friday, February 03, 2006

AFA

It's good to see that the American Family Association is again using their vast resources and millions of devoted followers to focus on something truly important in our modern world ... sit-com television:


Group Says 'Will & Grace' Will Mock Crucifixion

Is this to be the direction of religious activism from now on? The recent death of Coretta Scott King reminded us of the legacy of true religious activism and the power to do good. All that the AFA reminds us of is that are some that preach bigotry and moral superiority in the name of religion.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. ... But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." -- Coretta Scott King

8 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

How come some people just have no sense of humor? And why is it network execs have such tiny, shrivelled balls that they allow themselves to be intimidated by these wackos?

I think the AOL Poll said it best, 74% were not offended by a cooking segment on a religious talk show titled "Cruci-fixins"

Actually, it sounds like a much funnier concept than anything that has aired on Will and Grace this year.

Laura said...

The Simpsons had an episode where the Church ice-cream social had a table of Crucifixins... No one said a damn word. They just want an excuse to protest a gay show. Also, I think that now they've got their foot in the door for protesting stuff on television we'll be hearing a lot more from them.

Sadie Lou said...

Who cares. Christians are always critisized for being defensive and just today you have radical Islam throwing a fit over a stupid cartoon--and they are not just demanding the cartoons be put away--they are starting fires and people are getting killed.
Let's shift focus from so called "radical Christians" and start drawing attention to some REAL radicals?

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
I write about what I know. I'm confronted on a daily basis by radical Christianity. Christianity was forced on me by family and society. I'm able to give a perspective because I've seen both sides. I don't have that perspective with Islam.

I abhor the reaction by radical Islam as much as you do in this case. But it has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. If you want to right about radical Islam, go right ahead.

Sadie Lou said...

I didn't mean to offend.

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
I know that. I don't think you could offend me if you tried. I always appreciate your point of view.

Sadie Lou said...

okay, thank you.
:)

greatwhitebear said...

I think the bigger question is, "what is it about religion that turns a certain percentage of its adherants into raving lunatics?