Monday, February 13, 2006

Rage Against the Machine

In my continuing series on my favorite "poltical bands":


Rage Against the Machine is arguably my favorite band of all time. They burned short but burned bright. They were a perfect synthesis of ideas, aggression and musicianship. Beginning in L.A. in the early 90's, they combined the disparate backgrounds of the members -- both musically and politically. Guitarist Tom Morello is the nephew of the first president of Kenya. His mother, Mary Morello, is the founder of Parents for Rock and Rap, an anti-censorship organization. Singer Zack de la Rocha is the son of Beto de la Rocha, a well-known chicano political artist.

The music of Rage Against the Machine is in-your-face. Even the cover of their first album lets you know exactly what you are getting ... uncompromising music and ideas:



This was not a band that was afraid to ruffle some feathers. All of their songs are political, so it's not too tough to pick some with meaning. But I'll pick five of my favorites:

Freedom (Rage Against the Machine, 1992) - This song refers to Leonard Peltier, a famous Native American rights activist who has been in prison for 27 years. He is considered to be a poltical prisoner by Amnesty International.

" ... What does the billboard say
Come and play, come and play
Forget about the movement

Anger is a gift"



Bulls on Parade (Evil Empire, 1996) - Bulls on Parade is about the military-industrial complex that oppresses and controls who they consider to be lesser peoples and how money feeds it to the detriment of everything else. "Five sided fist-a-gon" means Pentagon.

" ... Terror rains drenchin', quenchin' tha thirst of
Tha power dons
That five sided fist-a-gon ..."
" ... Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed tha war canibal animal ..."


Bullet in the Head (Rage Against the Machine, 1992) - Bullet in the Head talks about how jingoistic patriotism is really no different than blind nationalism ... like in Nazi Germany. And the media and government play it up to keep the masses in line.

" ... A yellow ribbon instead of a swastika
Nothin' proper about ya propaganda
Fools follow rules when the set commands ya ..."


Know Your Enemy (Rage Against the Machine, 1992) - Know Your Enemy is basically a song about rebellion and defiance. Don't believe everything that the system tells you. Think for yourself. Maynard Keenan of Tool has an awesome appearance on this song.

" ... Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
The finger to the land of the chains
What? The land of the free?
Whoever told you that is your enemy? ... "



Killing in the Name (Rage Against the Machine, 1992) - Another song of defiance. The line about crosses insinuates that many members of white supremacy organizations (like the KKK) are actually police. The beat of this song is infectious. It's hilarious to see this song played in dance clubs sometimes and to see a bunch of privileged frat boys yelling the chorus ... completely oblivious to the meaning of the song. Ah, ignorance is bliss.

" ... Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses ... "

" Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!"


Their acts of defiance and protest are as prominent as their music. On one occassion, the band stood onstage naked with tape over their mouths for 15 minutes to protest censorship and the PMRC. On another occasion, they were actually able to get the New York Stock Exchange to shut down. They were filming the video for "Sleep Now in the Fire", directed by none other than Michael Moore, outside the NYSE. The exchange shut down in the middle of the day because of fears of crowds gathering to watch the filming.

The band only released 3 original studio albums but their influence is still felt. They are arguably the most prominent political rock band of the last 20 years.

13 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

clearly the music industry's most charasmatic front man. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

dbackdad said...

He was very much a bundle of energy. Though I loved Rage and Soundgarden, I am not as big of fan of Audioslave (the Soundgarden singer with the rest of Rage).

Laura said...

I love Rage. I can't listen to them for too long at one time but that first album is fantastic. I also like Renegades too.

dbackdad said...

I like Renegades too. My wife is a long time Springsteen fan, so having them cover "Ghost of Tom Joad" was pretty cool.

greatwhitebear said...

Funny, my oldest son was in HS and the youngest about to start HS when Rage became prominet. but i was much more into the music than the boys were.

Sadie Lou said...

Chris Cornell has the most underrated voice in that particular genre of music.
I loved him in Soundgarden and I haven't really enjoyed much of Audioslave.
I will say that when Chris Cornell did that song," Hunger Strike" with Eddie Vedder for Temple of the Dog, I was so aware of what a strong male voice SHOULD sound like--Vedder IS the best male vocalist of my generation.

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
I completely agree with you on Cornell and Vedder. I've been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam and Soundgarden numerous times. The first time I saw PJ, they were actually an opening band in a midsize venue (1500 seats) along with Smashing Pumpkins ... opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Did you ever see the movie, Singles? It's great because there are a lot of cameos by the Seattle bands.

Sadie Lou said...

I saw Singles but it was SUCH a long time ago. I really ought to rent it again. In fact, I have Netflix so I should just add it to my que right now so I don't forget.

You are so lucky to have seen those concerts! Smashing Pumpkins?! Oh man, were they awesome? Red Hot Chili Peppers?
I lived and breathed Blood Sugar Sex Magic when I was like a junior in highschool.
I remember my mom saying," Is he saying suck my KISS, or something else?"
Ha!
Sittin' on a sack of beans, sittin' down in New Orleans, can't believe what I've seen--sittin' on a sack beans.
Lunatics on pogo sticks
another southern fried freak with a crucifix...
I can go on with that song and I haven't heard it in years. It's like the lyrics are burned into my memory. I remember laying on my bed with the lyrics from the cassette in my hand and the ear phones glued to my ears.
Thanks for the memories...

dbackdad said...

Sadie,

The Peppers were the whole reason we went to the concert. At that time, we had barely even heard of Pearl Jam and the Pumpkins! Can you imagine that? But, yeah, they were all great. "Knock Me Down" was always my favorite Peppers song:

"... Don't be afraid to show your friends.
That you hurt inside (inside).
Pain's part of life don't hide behind your false pride...
If you see me getting mighty,
If you see me getting high,
Knock me down.
I'm not bigger than life."

Words to live by.

In the movie Singles, Chris Cornell is the long hair guy that's standing by the car when the windows blow from the speakers. Eddie Vedder plays the drums (and other PJ members play in) Matt Dillon's band. Plus, there are cameos from Alice in Chains, Tad, and other Seattle bands of that era.

Sadie Lou said...

Man, what I wouldn't give to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers live. I bet they give a great performance. My parents wouldn't let me go because they couldn't stand their lyrics and they knew what kind of crowd they would draw. I can't blame them.
They have totally stood the test of time; they lasted much longer than other bands--Smashing Pumpkins (which I thought would last forever) Pearl Jam--are they still around?

You've totally got me going on a "Singles" craving so I'll come back and rap with you about it after I've seen it again and thanks for telling me what to look for.

dbackdad said...

I was in college at the time, so the folks didn't factor into the decision. Heck, if it wasn't Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson, they probably wouldn't even have known who it was. :-)

I saw the Peppers again here in Phx a few years ago but that first show was still more special ... probably because it was much more of a formative experience then.

Pearl Jam is still around. They just hated the commercial aspect of music and having to make videos. So after their first album, they refused to make videos and have just kept releasing albums and touring. They still put out good stuff. I've seen them a couple of times here also.

You got me jonesing for a repeat watching of Singles now. It's been a few years since I've seen it. I really like Cameron Crowe movies. Part of the reason he always has a lot of cameos by the Seattle crowd is that he is marrried to Nancy Wilson, guitarist for the band Heart. She often does the music for his films also.

Sadie Lou said...

I didn't know Cameron Crowe married Nancy Wilson. How odd.
Maybe I did know that in the back of my mind somewhere...
...I'm on an Alfred Hitchcock straight right now. I have "Vertigo" waiting for me when I get off the computer tonight.
When I get off this kick--I'll rent Singles.

dbackdad said...

Hitchcock rules. "Rear Window" was always my fave. But Vertigo's good too.