Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lies, Lies, Lies ... Yeah!

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." -- Adolph Hitler


A former co-worker and friend of many years forwarded the following e-mail to me (and several hundred of her dearest friends) in the last week:

Dr. Dobson & CBS Response

Apparently we are to be allowed to watch TV programs that use every foul word in the English language, but not the word "God." It will only take a minute to read this and see if you think you should send it out

DR. DOBSON'S PLEA FOR ACTION

CBS discontinued "Touched by an Angel" for using the word God in every program. Madeline Murray O'Hare, an atheist, successfully managed to eliminate the use of Bible reading from public schools a few years ago. Now her organization has been granted a federal hearing on the same subject by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, DC.

Their petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave the way to stop the reading of the gospel our Lord and Savior, on the airwaves of America.

They got 287,000 signatures to back their stand! If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship services being broadcast on the radio or by television will be stopped. This group is also campaigning to remove all Christmas programs and Christmas carols from public schools!

You as a Christian can help! We are praying for at least 1 million signatures. This would defeat their effort and show that there are many Christians alive, well and concerned about our country. As Christians we must unite on this. Please don't take this lightly.

We ignored this lady once and lost prayer in our schools and in offices across the nation. Please stand up for your religious freedom and let your voice be heard. Together we can make a difference in our country while creating a way for the lost to know the Lord.

Please press "forward", and forward this to everyone that you think should read this. Now, please sign your name at the bottom (you can only add your name after you have pressed the "Forward"). Don't delete any other names, just go to the next number and type your name and state. Please defeat this organization and keep the right of our freedom of religion.

REMEMBER! : Our country was founded on freedom of religion and our Constitution is based on the 10 Commandments.

People that forward this kind of crap are the worst kind of morons (sorry ... you're a friend but in this case, you are either naive or a moron or both). It illustrates the following:

  • -- You will believe anything especially if it is religion-related and even more if James Dobson is associated with it.

  • -- You are gullible and will do anything if asked to in an e-mail.

  • -- You apparently don't have the time to take 2 seconds to go to snopes.com and double-check something before spamming everyone in your address book. Variations of this e-mail have been bouncing around the internet for 10 years: Petition to Ban Religious Broadcasting

  • -- You assume that everyone in your address book cares about whatever subject you are sending. It is your public service responsibility to enlighten us.

  • -- You are part of a huge majority yet continue to try and pawn off yourself as a persecuted minority. If I hear one more time that you can get in trouble for saying Merry Christmas, I will personally hunt you down and I may have to resort to violence ... even though I'm a pacifist.

  • -- Lies and hyperbole are apparently just as good as facts. I couldn't help thinking of Stephen Colbert's line from this last weekend: " ... and reality has a well-known liberal bias."


"People do not believe lies because they have to, but because they want to." -- Malcolm Muggeridge

7 comments:

Simon said...

LOL. Very true. Good MM quote.

greatwhitebear said...

LOL.. I try not to abuse my friends with such emails.. mostly because I'm sensitive and deathly afraid of getting responses like yours!

Did she REALLY think that "Touched" was cancelled because of the use of the word God, and not the abysmally low ratings worthy of one of the most insipid shows in the history TV?

However, in it's defense it did wonderfully in the demographic of widow ladies over 75.

Laura said...

Can I save this and send it to the next person that sends me some of this tripe? You summed up every feeling I have when I get this crap from my family... I'm sure this one is on its way to my inbox...

Another point with these things is that

-- If you feel so strongly about this subject, take a few minutes to write an original thought on the topic rather than forward someone else's poorly written, poorly researched crap.

dbackdad said...

I could respect someone a little bit if they took a few minutes to put an original thought down. But to just keep regurgitating this boilerplate e-mail that they either did read and manufactured fake indignation or did not read and just forwarded on is ridiculous. I mean ... really ... if there is such a concerted effor to keep God off of television, then how do silly shows like "Touched by an Angel" and "Seventh Heaven" stay on the air for so painfully long? I won't make fun of "Highway to Heaven' (with Michael Landon") ... my mom and I used to watch that one and it was OK. Quite the funny picture -- two atheists watching a show about God. :-)

dbackdad said...

BTW, I let my friend down nicely. She definitely did not receive my vitriole from above (and she doesn't know about my blog). All that I did was send her a link to the snopes refutation of the e-mail.

tshsmom said...

Totally agree! I send my friends snopes links all the time.
The most recent link involved supposed pictures, from a Jewish satellite, of space shuttle Columbia blowing up. The pictures were actually from the movie Armageddon.

Isabella di Pesto said...

Good going dbackdad!

I get this trash in my email all the time. I especially liked the one my born-again friend sent me saying that crosses were not allowed on the gravestones in Arlington National cemetary. And with the email was a picture of a cemetary in Europe! They don't bother to check out the veracity of their emails.