Sunday, July 09, 2006

Books

"Beware of the man of one book." -- Thomas Aquinas


Some scary stats on reading posted by Josh at Schulzone(courtesy of parapublishing.com:
One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. Many do not even graduate from high school.
58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.
42% of college graduates never read another book.
80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.
70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
57% of new books are not read to completion.

Unbelievable stuff. Laziness? Stupidity? Lack of access? Too many other things distracting us (TV, computers)? Probably a little bit of each. Exacerbated by a society of anti-intellectual pride where people of learning are viewed as effete snobs.


"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.
Just get people to stop reading them. -- Ray Bradbury

6 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Pretty amazing stats......

Laura said...

sad, very very sad. I admit, I was never a big reader when I was younger. I think that was because A) I hated the crap they made us read in school. B) I'm a slow reader, which often meant I couldn't keep up so I equated reading with a chore.

Now that I actually read books that interest me (for pleasure and school) I read a lot more.

I know several people that don't read. It makes me sad to see.

Scott said...

I wonder how far the Internet can go in replacing books.

I realize certain sites, maybe even the majority, are not beneficial in any way to the over all fabric of a society. However I'm not so sure the same can't be said about books. Having worked at a book store for 3 years I can personally attest to the large quantity of books available that are absolute rubbish.

For instance there is a girl down the office from me that goes through romance novels like crazy. Can we seriously say that those books are more edifying than a television show?

Now a blog such as this that examines ideas, produces duologue, and maybe even foster relationships is infinitely more valuable, in my opinion, than a lam fiction novel or even a sensationalized biased non-fiction book.

I'm not saying books are replaceable because I really don't think they are, I'm just saying those other things that are distracting us aren't necessarily harmful.

dbackdad said...

Scott said, "... other things that are distracting us aren't necessarily harmful." -- very true. I'd certainly have to agree that the internet/blogs have for the most part elevated our literacy and communication. There are a lot of people that would be not taking the time to write (myself included) on a semi-daily basis if not for the ease of blogging. I've tried traditional journaling in the past and got bored with it after a month. I've been consistently blogging for almost a year and half now and know other bloggers that have done it for 5+ years.

I was more speaking to the vast wasteland of TV and to the time spent reading spam and responding to chain e-mails.

And I think that books will always have a place. Subjects just cannot be presented in an in-depth enough manner in an article on a screen. Plus, it's nice to just un-plug sometimes.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you again.

Scott said...

And I think that books will always have a place. Subjects just cannot be presented in an in-depth enough manner in an article on a screen.

I agree wholeheartedly.

dbackdad said...

Josh did a new post with some more stats, this time from the NEA:

More on Reading

Thanks Josh.