Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Phoenix New Times 10K


For some unknown reason, I chose to punish myself this last weekend and ran in the Phoenix New Times 10K with no real prep (short of some bike riding). This is the 4th or 5th time I've ran the New Times. It was the 30th annual running of this great race and it benefitted the Big Brother Big Sisters of Central Arizona.


While I was an embarrasment to my gender, family, friends, you name it, our friend Joanie Burley kicked butt, finishing a good 12 minutes ahead of me. My accomplishments were more modest: not stopping to walk, not puking, not coughing up a lung. (I'm #4079 near the center of the picture)

The kids (Alex and Julianna) ran in the Kids Dash and had a blast and were much more entertaining than us old fogeys:

11 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

"not stopping to walk, not puking, not coughing up a lung"

Modest my ass! That IS a major accomplishment

Eric said...

thanks man, we hadda blast.

Laura said...

You have more energy than I, that's for sure.

Sadie Lou said...

whoa. I love that picture of the kids. They are so proud of themselves--you can tell. You should be proud too! Good job!

dbackdad said...

Sadie,

Thanks. They are (and we are) proud of them. BTW, the little girl is Eric's daughter, Julianna.

Sadie Lou said...

Oh, eric and you are friends? Yeah, he hates me in case you haven't noticed.
;)

Eric said...

Nah Sadie Lou, I don't hate you. At least your open minded enough to interact here.

It's most of your opinions I fundamentally disagree with.

dbackdad said...

Sadie,

I'm sure Eric doesn't hate you. We all may disagree from time to time, but from what I can tell, we all agree on at least these few things:

- we love our kids
- we have pretty good kids
- our kids love us

In the end, that's all that matters. We're all open-minded enough to discuss things and our kids will notice that and learn from that ... regardless of what they end up believing.

Sadie Lou said...

eric--
well at least we're both fundamental and openminded. I guess I read a lot into what I imagine someone's tone of voice to be--I was assuming that you hunt down my comments with a vengence and then seek to disagree with EVERYTHING I write...
...I was being a little cheeky with the word "hate".
Have a great weekend.

dbackdad--
You're right. That's what's important.

Isabella di Pesto said...

I guess I read a lot into what I imagine someone's tone of voice to be--I was assuming that you hunt down my comments with a vengence and then seek to disagree with EVERYTHING I write...

You did that with me, too, Sadie Lou. And I told you several times that you were wrong.

Sadie Lou said...

You did that with me, too, Sadie Lou. And I told you several times that you were wrong.

Ah, my old pal Isabella. I think you and I just needed to be separated for awhile--like in school when the yard duty teacher would send me to the swings while my playground nemisis was sent to the monkey bars.
We're good.