Saturday, November 19, 2005

Thanksgiving


"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." -~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds." -- Theodore Roosevelt


7 Shallow Things I am Thankful For


A DVR. Live television is boring.

My digital camera and digital video camera. The revolution will be televised, baby!

Being able to wander around the Valley, goofing around with customers' computers, enjoy doing it, and get paid for it.

Being able to wear shorts and a t-shirt for 11 months of the year.

Air America Radio. It weened me off of my addiction to sports talk radio. I think that's an upgrade?!

2008 is only 3 years away.

Blogging. Never has so much been said about so little. But it sure beats ranting to people on the street ... and safer.

7 Genuine Things I am Thankful For


A son that reminds me daily that I'm at least pretty good at one thing ... being a dad.

A wife that supports me in whatever I do ... no matter how nutty.

Great friends (E & J) that have always been there.

A family that despite our differences would help at the drop of a hat.

I'm in my 8th year of not working for the "man". And doing a great job on my own.

My blog friends. I truly value the discussions we have. I learn something new from you guys every day.

Going on the Sierra Club service trip. One of the best vacations that I've ever had. Learned a lot and made some friendships that hopefully I will have for a long time.

And on a lighter note ...

"Thanksgiving Day, a function which originated in New England two or three centuries ago when those people recognized that they really had something to be thankful for - annually, not oftener - if they had succeeded in exterminating their neighbors, the Indians, during the previous twelve months instead of getting exterminated by their neighbors, the Indians. Thanksgiving Day became a habit, for the reason that in the course of time, as the years drifted on, it was perceived that the exterminating had ceased to be mutual and was all on the white man's side, consequently on the Lord's side; hence it was proper to thank the Lord for it and extend the usual annual compliments." -- Mark Twain

"I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land." -- Jon Stewart

10 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

This cartoon is exactly the reason I have volunteered to work Thursday. That and the fact it will help me avoid watching the train wreck that is the Lions.

dbackdad said...

Ugg not care about the Lions. He-he.

greatwhitebear said...

Ugg smarter than Bear and Bearlings!

Laura said...

There's lots to be thankful for, though I think the underlying things get obscured by the tangible, daily hardships we all face.

I'm thankful for my family (well, most of them), my health, the fact that I have a job that pays a living wage, that I have a decent roof over my head... there's plenty of people in the world that can't say any of those things.

Let's all toast on Thanksgiving for the people who couldn't be with us (for whatever reason), and say a "prayer" for the people who have it a hell of a lot worse off than us...

Laura said...

Oh, and I'm stealing that Jon Stewart quote...

CyberKitten said...

It's a GREAT quote... (snigger)

dbackdad said...

Laura and CK,

Steal away. Jon Stewart rules!

Sadie Lou said...

Isn't it cool how having a little "blog family" feels so--I dunno, special?
I'm thankful for my blog friends too.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

dbackdad said...

Welcome back Sadie. How was your trip?

Sadie Lou said...

It was awesome! The kids were kinda hyper and out of control but that's to be expected.
I'm having difficulties getting our photos to load up on Blogger...