Monday, December 05, 2005

Imagine


December 8th marks the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death.

"I think were always attracted to John Lennon because he was someone who truly made a difference. Whether you liked him on the Beatle level or the politically-active level— the songwriting level, the cultural level, he was someone who always spoke his mind, was always honest. And if you remember back to the early Beatle pictures, he was always the one with his tie askew or his jacket unbuttoned. He was different. He was an iconoclast. He didn’t fit the mold. And in so many ways, he broke the mold." -- Max Weinberg, drummer, Bruce Springstreen and the E Street band; Max Weinberg Seven


In 2002, Yoko One donated the rights to Lennon's songs to Amnesty International. Several artists, including one of my favorite bands, the Deftones, are recording some of these songs to raise funds for the organization.

Lennon's honesty is well-documented. Here are a few of my faves:

"ON THE SIXTIES

"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the 60s, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal."

ON RELIGION

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that, I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

ON PEACE

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."


But with this group in power, forget about it. Peace isn't profitable. We gotta keep the military-industrial complex rolling.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

Lennon was the greatest, who knows what the world would be like if he were still alive. I like your site, and I saw that Johnny Got His Gun Is on your recomended reads, and I must say that was the greatest book I have ever read. I like your blog!

http://imaginechoes.blogspot.com/

greatwhitebear said...

I can still remember the exact place I was, what I was doing, what radio station I was listening to when I heard the news of Lennon's murder.

Lennon was a big influence on me. His honesty, his sense of humor, his vision, all resonated with me.

Sadie Lou said...

More popular than Jesus?
*laughing*
ah the ego driven lifestyle of the famous...
Gotta love 'em.
My favorite was Paul.

dbackdad said...

I was always a George Harrison guy. I love My Sweet Lord. How ironic is that? he-he

dbackdad said...

Thanks Jeff. I've added your blog to my blog links. You've got a very nice site. I love all the music stuff. I think we have very similar tastes (Tool, U2, System of a Down, Pink Floyd, etc.)

CyberKitten said...

dbackdad said: I was always a George Harrison guy. I love My Sweet Lord. How ironic is that? he-he

'While my Guitar gently weeps' did it for me - from George.

However, John was the genius in the group. His death was a great loss, not only to the world of music, but to the world.

Isabella di Pesto said...

Imagine
Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one

dbackdad said...

Isabella,

No truer words have ever been spoken. Thanks for posting those lyrics.