Monday, December 26, 2005

Syriana


I saw a very good movie last night: Syriana. I won't tell you the characters or what happens. I will tell you that it's about oil:

  • How we do anything to get it. We will support anyone so that we can have ready access to it.
  • We'll grease the wheels of government to get it. And government will gladly acquiesce.
  • We're not interested in elevating ourselves or the people of the Middle East. We're only interested in keeping the oil flowing.
  • Oil companies can and will do anything in the name of increasing their profits.
  • People of integrity and of change are collateral damage. They will be thrown under the bus by the corrupt.
  • How we turn an incredibly complex world situation into a political speech punchline.

The intertwining storylines and documentary style camera work is reminiscent of Traffic, for good reason. The director and writer, Steven Gaghan, was the writer of Traffic. Plus, Clooney and Steven Soderburgh were both producers of Syrianna, as they were with Traffic. The choices in movies and causes that Clooney has made over the last years are admirable. Here is someone who could have put it on auto-pilot and chose to turn out any piece of studio crap to make a quick buck, but chose to use his clout to make personal, political movies like "Good Night and Good Luck" and "Syriana" that could have jeopardized his career. But rather, because of the quality of what he has done, they have strengthened it. This was similar in many ways to Mel Gibson getting the Passion of the Christ made. Though I don't agree with a lot of Gibson's views and don't believe that Passion was as much of a cinematic triumph as it was made out to be, I respect the risk that he took to make a personal film. And I respect George Clooney even more.


There have been several books describing the Middle East situation, oil, our involvement, etc. Imperial Hubris is one. House of Bush, House of Saud is another. I recommend them both. And I recommend this movie.

8 comments:

CyberKitten said...

I have heard nothing but good things about this movie... I'm also a reasonable Clooney fan.

I'm not sure if any of my friends will want to see it when it finally gets shown over here... but if not I'll just have to go on my own. Something I haven't done since I saw 'The Motorcycle Diaries' which I can highly recommend...

dbackdad said...

Yeah, I have the same problem with a lot of my friends ... getting them to see anything of substance.

I loved 'The Motorcyle Diaries". "Viva la Revolucion!"

Jewish Atheist said...

It was interesting but depressing. It basically left me with the feeling that the situation sucks and that there's nothing we can hope to do about it. Too many powerful interests (the most powerful interests) are involved.

In a related vein, I highly recommend the documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

CyberKitten said...

I don't think they like me going on my own... they think its either wierd or sad...

I actually LIKE going on my own.. It feels self indulgent - but in a good way.

We do tend to see a lot of Hollywood stuff... but I do like to see 'off the wall' stuff too. Not all of it is any good though. Saw a Russian vampire movie a little while ago. Probably the worst film I've seen in ages. But at least I risked it... (grin).

I remember walking back to the Mall after 'Motorcycle Diaries'.. Stunned by just how good it was... and I did convince a goodly number of my friends to see three Chinese films which went down rather well...

Finally (getting even more 'off-topic') my favourite film ATM is French.

'A Very Long Engagement' If you haven't seen this I recommend you get it on DVD - though I do recommend a handy box of hankies...

dbackdad said...

JA,
I agree on the depressing part. It doesn't really leave any room for redemption at the end. But maybe that's where we really are in the real world. I actually enjoy being depressed by a movie as long as it gets me to think.

I've been meaning to see the Enron movie but hadn't got around to it yet. I did DVR "The Corporation" off of Sundance this week and will watch it here in the next few days.

CK,
I went and saw Syriana by myself at 10 pm last night. It's not exactly a movie we could take the 4 year old to and the wife didn't mine me going solo. I don't mind going to movies alone.

Also, didn't realize that GWB also saw and reviewed Syriana. As always, he has a good take:
Syriana

Laura said...

I do want to see this. I hear it's a little hard to follow at times, so I may have to see it twice.

How long until the wingnuts start comparing Clooney to Michael Moore?

Anonymous said...

Saw it alone tonight, will see it alone a second time. Baer's book "See No Evil" was easier to follow, I recommend both the book and the movie.

This movie is far more intellegently done than Michael Moore can ever hope to do, IMHO.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I still haven't seen this movie and I only have laziness to blame. I shall see it at once.