Thursday, March 23, 2006

Dixie Chicks -- Not Ready to Make Nice


Good for the Dixie Chicks. After paying a dear price for one simple sentence ... said in London: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

... they are not backing down. And they shouldn't. Too many people kiss ass for money or for political reasons (McCain ... you tool).

Here's the Chicks latest single: Not Ready to Make Nice

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

I’m through with doubt
There’s nothing left for me to figure out
I’ve paid a price
And I’ll keep paying

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I know you said
Can’t you just get over it
It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’
It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they’d write me a letter
Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

7 comments:

Laura said...

I really want to know what makes country music fans so jingoistic. You know there's also an area of sociological research that shows the connection between country music lovers and suicide rates.

I don't like country music, but I admire their gusto. They shouldn't back down. Free speech doesn't just apply to things people want to hear.

Hell, I'm embarrased that President Bush is American...

greatwhitebear said...

My country music tastes are pretty much limited to the Austin sound, but I love the "Chicks", with their blend of country, oldtimey, folk and celtic. And they are awsome in concert!

I also have a termendous amount of respect for them and their 'won't back down" attitude. And yeah, Natalie is HOT!

dbackdad said...

Laura,
It doesn't really make any sense. A large majority of country music's biggest fans are the ones being shit on by the policies of a Republican administration. It's the "What's the Matter with Kansas?" syndrome. Many people will vote against their own economic and social self-interest.

GWB,
Like you two, not really a big country fan but I was raised on things like Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash (did finally see Walk the Line, BTW,and it was great). I really like Dwight Yoakam, but that has as much to do with his attitude as anything.
In general, I respect anyone that writes their own stuff, plays their own instruments, and doesn't allow the musical industry to tell them what they should say and do.

Eric said...

Laura - I think the reverse is the case. Jingoism makes people into rabid country music fans.

Sadie Lou said...

jingoistic

Had to look that one up.
I learned a new word today. *proud*

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
He-he. Don't feel bad. I don't think I exactly knew what it meant before I started blogging about a year ago. I think I probably thought it had something to do with ad jingles on the radio. :-)

dbackdad said...

I was just reading that Rick Rubin produced their new album (Johnny Cash, Slayer, System of a Down, Beastie Boys) and that members of the Chili Peppers and Tom Petty's band played on it.