Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hypocrite of the Day -- John McCain


Oh, John, why did I ever respect ye?

Then (6 years ago):

"I am a pro-life, pro-family fiscal conservative, an advocate of a strong defense, and yet Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and a few Washington leaders of the pro-life movement call me an unacceptable presidential candidate. They distort my pro- life positions and smear the reputations of my supporters.

Why? Because I don't pander to them, because I don't ascribe to their failed philosophy that money is our message.

Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right."


Now:

Press release from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, March 28, 2006:

American military hero and Arizona Sen. John McCain will deliver the Commencement message at Liberty University on May 13, at 9:30 a.m., in the Liberty University Vines Center.

While Sen. McCain and Liberty University Chancellor Jerry Falwell have had their share of political differences through the years, the two men share a common respect for each other and have become good friends in their efforts to preserve what they see as common values. This will mark his first ever appearance at Liberty University.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I smell lame duck presidents and election fever... and it stinks - as usual. Gentlemen, start your spinning....

Anonymous said...

Interesting Note: My wingnut friends to a man hate McCain. They think he's been selling them out for years and now he's sucking up for some primary love.

Apparently it's common sentiment among the hardcore religious right. McCain will never make it out of primary's. Which is probably a good thing, he's got enough of an anti bush sheen to distance himself from the president in a general election, but he's ideologically more of the same. Enough to fool voters but not enough to change anything.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

John McCain has lost any and all respect that I ever had for him in 2000. He caved into the Bush corporate money machine and that makes my stomach churn. Not to mention all of his other flip-flops.

greatwhitebear said...

McCain is an inigma to me. I can't quite figure him out.

He scare me enough I would never vote for him though!