"We are at heart so profoundly anarchistic that the only form of state we can imagine living in is Utopian; and so cynical that the only Utopia we can believe in is authoritarian." -- Lionel Trilling
Reminiscent of a company town ... where God is the CEO ... Domino's Pizza founder Thomas S. Monaghan is trying to establish a town in Florida where abortion, pornography, and birth control are outlawed:
Some details of the town:
- massive church with what is being billed as the largest crucifix in the nation, 65 feet
- "stores will not sell pornographic magazines, pharmacies will not carry condoms or birth control pills, and cable television will have no X-rated channels"
- homeowners own land but all commercial property will be controlled by Monoghan so that provisions will be put in leases to control what is sold
~~ "I believe all of history is just one big battle between good and evil. I don't want to be on the sidelines," Monaghan, who sold Domino's Pizza in 1998 to devote himself to doing good works, said in a recent Newsweek interview. ~~
Governor Jeb Bush, a convert to Catholocism, was at the groundbreaking and hailed it as an example of "faith and freedom". How is a place where you are told what you can buy an example of "freedom"? Typical Bush family double-speak.
Understandably and thankfully, not everyone (even Catholics) are on board with this:
~~ Frances Kissling, president of the liberal Washington-based Catholics for a Free Choice, likened Monaghan's concept to Islamic fundamentalism.
"This is un-American," Kissling said. "I don't think in a democratic society you can have a legally organized township that will seek to have any kind of public service whatsoever and try to restrict the constitutional rights of citizens." ~~
I'm thinking about building a town as an answer to Ave Maria. It will have:
- no place to purchase books of the "Left Behind" series
- no place to watch FOX News
- centered around a library and theater
- a place where families of all kinds are encouraged instead of ostracized
- a place that makes abortions safe and rare instead of illegal and frequent
- The town will have it's own hypocrisy police. You will be cited if you are against abortion yet beat the drums of war.
"Not in Utopia, -- subterranean fields, --
Or some secreted island, Heaven knows where!
But in the very world, which is the world
Of all of us, -- the place where in the end
We find our happiness, or not at all!" -- Williams Wordsworth