Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Notes

I'm probably one of the few males that actually watched (and enjoys) the Oscars. It was an interesting Oscars ceremony because all of the major movies hit on a political theme. Homosexuality, terrorism, oil, racism, corporate corruption, etc. It was the first time that I can remember where every movie had something serious to say.
My take on some of the awards:


Best Picture -- Crash - Well-deserved and the one that I would have picked. I think it was better crafted and had more to say than it's main competition, Brokeback Mountain.

Best Director -- Ang Lee - this one probably made sense. Brokeback Mountain was a lot more about the pacing, the look and the subject matter than it was about the acting. Crash was much more reliant on across-the-board quality acting and a good script.

Best Supporting Actor -- George Clooney - I saw more of the nominees (4) in this category than any of the others and based on those, I'd have to agree with Clooney winning. His performance in Syriana is riveting and unlike anything he had done before. I could have easily have seen Dillon winning also but I think he was hurt by the quality of all of the other performances in Crash. I can't help feeling that this might have been a token award for Clooney based on the overall quality of everything he has done this year. But I have not see Good Night and Good Luck, so I cannot speak on whether he would have been deserving of winning for his other two nominations.



Best Documentary -- March of the Penguins - I saw and liked March of the Penguins, but I believe that Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room was a much better movie. March of the Penguins was largely a glorified kids' after-school special.

For probably the same reason that a lot of people hated the following speeches, I liked them. They're pretentious and probably overstate the importance of film. But that's the point. If art is not trying to rattle society's cage a little bit, then it's not doing it's job.

"And finally, I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while, I think. It's probably a good thing. Uhm, we're the ones who talk about AIDS when it was just being whispered. And we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. And we, uh, you know, we bring up subjects, we are the ones, this Academy, this group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy. I'm proud to be part of this community. I'm proud to be out of touch. And I thank you so much for this." -- George Clooney, on accepting the Best Supporting Actor Oscar


"Bertolt Brecht said art is not a mirror to hold up to society but a hammer with which to shape it, so I guess this is ours," he said, waving his Oscar. "I just want to thank those people who take big risks in their daily lives when there aren't cameras rolling, and when there aren't people to applaud, and the people who stand up for peace and justice and against intolerance. So I dedicate this to them." -- Paul Haggis on accepting the best Original Screenplay Oscar


I thought Jon Stewart was great ... but maybe just a little bit subdued (probably on purpose). The political style fake ads of the nominees were funny. His ad-libs were not forced and were well-received. He was not overtly political but did manage some jabs, including the following at the media:

"And "Capote" and "Good Night, and Good Luck are about determined journalists defying obstacles in a relentless pursuit of the truth."

"Needless to say, both are period pieces."



==========================================================

As I mentioned earlier, I finally had the chance to see Brokeback Mountain. Like any movie, if you hear too much hype (good or bad) about it, it taints your view. You catch yourself looking at every scene with blinders on. I liked the movie anyway. I don't think it tries to play up the fact that it's about a gay relationship. It just puts it out there: this is real life, it's not always convenient or practical, it doesn't always end up great, homosexuality is not a "lifestyle choice".

The pacing, spare dialogue, and cinematography reminded me of Clint Eastwood directed movies ... and that is meant as a compliment. The acting was universally good, especially Heath Ledger. He had described his method of approaching the role as embodying a "clenched fist". You could definitely see it ... the rage and confusion bubbling beneath the quiet exterior his whole life. A lot of people lauded Michelle Williams' performance playing the wife of Heath Ledger's character, but I actually preferred the performance of Anne Hathoway as the wife of Jake Gyllenhaal's character.



I think that the movie would have played even better for me if I went in not knowing it was about gay cowboys. That way you're not sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the other shoe to drop ... for the scene you are already know is coming to happen. It shouldn't be about THAT scene. It should be about two people loving each other.

10 comments:

Jewish Atheist said...

I totally disagree with you about Clooney. I didn't think his performance was anything special. The only one I think was worse was Dillon. :) All the others that I saw deserved it much more.

Sorry, but you're too slow on the draw. I spelled out my thoughts already at Sadie Lou's place. :)

dbackdad said...

JA,
I figured you had but I wanted to get my thoughts down before getting influenced by reading everyone else's. I read your comments there after I finished my post. As always, I appreciate your input.

Did you see A History of Violence? I wanted to but didn't get the chance. I can't really speak for Hurt's performance but I've always liked him in the past.

I liked Giamatti's performance but I just felt that I had seen it before ... by him. I thought Clooney went more out of his zone that Giamatti. As for Gyllenhaal, I was just more impressed by Ledger than him.

Jewish Atheist said...

No, A History of Violence was the one movie in that category I didn't see. I agree that Gyllenhaal was nothing special (I'm not a huge fan of his in general) and that Giamatti's was similar to his others, so maybe you're right that Clooney was the best. Still, not saying much. :)

dbackdad said...

JA,

Agreed. I don't think that category was filled with groundbreaking performances. From everything I've heard, best actor was, however. But, I was only lucky enough to see once of those performances. Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and Walk the Line will be high on my list of rentals (along with A History of Violence).

Sadie Lou said...

It was the first time that I can remember where every movie had something serious to say. and the Oscars had like the second lowest rating since the 80's. Isn't that so telling?

CyberKitten said...

sadie lou said: and the Oscars had like the second lowest rating since the 80's. Isn't that so telling?

Maybe people are just getting bored with endless award ceremonies.. Most of the films that won have been commercial as well as critical sucessful... that's the bottom line after all.

dbackdad asked about A History of Violence.

Personally I thought it was one of the worst films I've seen in years. I honestly can't see why people liked it so much... But maybe that's just me. I'm getting harder to please as I get older...

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
Certainly some people prefer escapism over being exposed to society's ills. I see the merits in both kinds of movies. I just thought it was refreshing to see a lot of movies with a message for a change.

CK,
I've been really surprised by all the people talking up "A History of Violence". I saw the commercial and thought it looked like a fairly standard thriller. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably still see it but I think I won't go in expecting as much.

Sadie Lou said...

I don't remember being really excited about a movie coming out last year; except maybe Narnia.
I go to the movies to see the ones that translate better on a big screen. All the movies that were nominated this last year are going to be fine on DVD.

Laura said...

I didn't understand William Hurt's nomination. He was in that move for like 5 seconds. Maria Bello was totally overlooked for her role in that movie - she was outstanding.

Clooney was good, Dillon was better.

Sadie Lou said...

Matt Dillion was great in Crash.
That was a pretty complex character and he nailed it. I especially loved that burning car scene with Thandie Newton.
Good, solid work.
I think Pheonix should have won the Oscar. I heard he and Reese tried to get out of their contract like every day because the vocal work and learning to sing was so frustrating.