Monday, September 19, 2005

Somewhere over the Rainbow Trout

Bacon-Wrapped Trout Stuffed with Fresh Sage


Though I don't think my picture or cooking is in the class of The Hungry Blogger or The Church Potluck, I cooked up something pretty damn tasty the other day from the spoils of our fishing trip of a few weeks ago.

4 (10-ounce) trout, head and tail on, gutted
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 large sprigs fresh sage
2 lemons, halved and sliced
1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon
Toothpicks

Drizzle cavity of trout with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff cavity with 4 lemon slices and 1 sprig of sage.
Wrap trout with bacon like a mummy, using toothpicks to hold bacon in place. Each trout will require about 6 strips of bacon.

Grill for approximately 5 minutes per side over direct medium-high heat, or until bacon is crispy and trout is cooked throughout. Trout can also be pan-seared for approximately 5 minutes per side.


The recipe is courtesy of the Food Network.

9 comments:

Laura said...

I just can't bring myself to eat a whole fish... Anything that can look at me while I'm eating it is off limits for me.... I might try wrapping a couple fillets in bacon though...

dbackdad said...

He-he. It's just for cooking and presentation. After it's cooked, the meat flakes right off. My wife insisted that I cut the head off of hers before bringing to the table.

Eric said...

Yummy.
Dude, J, J, and I all hit a dim sum place at the Chinese Cultural Center on Sunday. Yummy. We must hit that place sometime.

Sadie Lou said...

My mother in law makes bacon wrapped chicken. Just recently, I made a stew with scallops and bacon--the point of this comment:
Everything tastes better with bacon.
I'm with Laura--I'd need to hack off that head and probably the tail before I'd attempt this dish.

JCMasterpiece said...

When i saw this, my thought was that this is such a guys meal.

When i read the list of ingredients and it said "sprigs of fresh sage" i almost laughed out loud.

A couple of weeks ago at work they were serving fresh catfish. It was pretty obvious what they had done. They chopped off the heads, gutted them, battered them and just tossed them in the fryer tails, fins, bones, and all. Now that was some good catfish!

dbackdad said...

I love catfish. That actually sounds pretty good. We used to fish for channel catfish when I was growing up in Iowa.

greatwhitebear said...

I am assuming they are scaled? Don't laugh, I once tried cookng trout ala Huck Finn, molding clay all around them and throwing them directly in the fire. When the clay hardens, you're supposed to peel off the clay, scales and all. Let's just say it didn't work for me the way it did for Sam L. Clemens

greatwhitebear said...

ps.. fish look really good!

dbackdad said...

Yeah, we scaled them when they were cleaned. Trout scales are tiny as compared to panfish or bass. Pretty easy to scale.

The mix of flavors (sage, bacon, lemon, olive oil) was very good. I had never used this recipe before.