Saturday, April 01, 2006

Air America Phoenix Strikes Back!


As many of you know, Air America Phoenix 1010 KXXT went off the air about a month ago under dubious circumstances. But thanks to a great station manager and staff and a very enthusiastic group of libs in the land of Goldwater ... Air America Phoenix has a new home, KPHX 1480 and is scheduled to be back on the air April 3rd!!

It's been a strange month because I drive around the Valley a lot in the course of my job and I listen to a lot of radio. For about a year and a half, it had been almost exclusively tuned to Air America. But with the sinking of KXXT, I was forced to listen to NPR for the last month. That's not so much a complaint. I love NPR. It's just that in trying so hard to be neutral, sometimes they don't take a story as far as it needs to be taken. But they also bring to light international stories that you don't hear elsewhere. So, in the grand scheme of things, if the temporary lack of Air America got me to get back to listening to NPR occassionally, that's OK.

======================================================

I'm a busy guy. Work a lot. Read a lot. Blog entirely too much. Coach my son's T-ball team. Don't take many vacations. So what do I do? ...... I sign up for 5 different fantasy baseball teams!!!!!!!!!! I'm a moron. I had a life once ... I swear.

5 comments:

Matt Shields said...

I understand your thoughts on NPR but I must say in listening to Air America they've completely lost me. It's the exact same approach as Limbaugh and O'Reilly, like a three ring circus including some very moronic antics on the radio (playing babies crying when reporting on republicans not getting their way has me reaching for the radio dial quickly). I went back to NPR and found the programing to be much more focused and mature. Trying to find even ground, in my opinion, is the only way to go. We all think we're right anyway.

I think Air America is simply a way for folks to vent some steam but it is as polarizing as the right wing radio crap, which is to say it's all crap. And as factual as Ms. Rhodes can be she's really more of a pot stirrer to keep the listener base up. She definitely knows how to purposefully ruffle feathers, just like Limbaugh. For me its back to NPR.

Thanks for posting!

dbackdad said...

Salty,
I don't disagree with a lot of your comments on Air America. But you have to understand, out here in Phoenix, there is just not a lot of outlets for any progressive news or talk. Having Air America allowed a lot of us to know that we weren't the only ones out there. Driving around and listening to the radio each day, I only get a small percentage of the AA broadcasting day ... pretty much just Al Franken. Before that is Charles Goyette, broadcast locally, and Ed Schultz afterwards. They don't do a straight Air America feed out here. So, it allows us to get a little more variety than other markets.

But I refuse to believe that Air America is the same as right wing talk. I have listened to both and while right wing talk seeks to dumb down their audience, Air America is not afraid to give their audience facts and dissenting views.

I like your blog, BTW, and am so jealous of you being able to work in an Oliver Stone film. NBK and JFK are two of my favorite films (Salvador's great too).

For anyone that would like to check it out, Salty's blog:

Barnyard Devil

greatwhitebear said...

We still don't have Air America her in Hooierville, so I can't really comment.

Isabella di Pesto said...

No AA here in the Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete area where I'm visiting. I feel lost.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Yey!!!!

I'm so so glad that Air America is back in Phoenix. Yey!!!