Monday, October 24, 2005

Quirks

Thanks to Sadie and Jewish Atheist for passing this on to me to do ... so here goes. My strange habits and quirks:

1) I'm pretty compulsive about being early for appointments and for never taking sick days. I think it's the residue of a midwestern work ethic inherited from my dad.

2) I will finish every book or movie I start regardless of how wretched it is. I don't know if it's just another ethics thing about finishing what you start or if I feel that their is some redeeming quality in just about anything.

3) I LOVE going to auctions. It's the atmosphere, the competition, the white-trash huckster element. It can be for anything ... antiques, furniture, whatever. I used to work at an auction house when I was a teen and I was fascinated by the behind-the-scene things that went on then and that I can see going on now as a participant.

4) If I have the time and the TV remote, I will watch absolutely any televised sporting event. I find golf entertaining. I'd watch professional lawn darts or competitive tiddlywinks.

5) I love pickles but hate them on hamburgers. I will pick them off, eat them, and then eat the hamburger. I think it's because I don't think that hamburgers should be crunchy.

6) I don't really like mustard but if I'm eating a corn dog, I have to have it with mustard. Ketchup just will not work.

7) I'm compulsive about book, CD, DVD collecting. I have entirely too many of each (800+ books, 300+ CD's, 200+ DVD's). But I can't get rid of any. I always feel that I'll read, watch, listen to it someday. That means I still have a couple of Extreme (you know ... "More than Words" -- gag me) CD's that I just can't bring myself to dispose of.

8) Among my books, I have probably 100 books on chess! And I never play anyone. But if Gary Kasparov ever came to my house, I could probably give him a good game.

9) I've kept the tickets from every concert, sporting event, movie that I've ever went to. I keep saying that I'll put them in topical scrapbooks some day. And exactly who would that ever be interesting to?

OK, not the limits of my weirdness, but the most obvious ones that I can think of right now. Eric, Josh, and Isabella, consider yourselves tagged.

12 comments:

Sadie Lou said...

5) I love pickles but hate them on hamburgers. I will pick them off, eat them, and then eat the hamburger. I think it's because I don't think that hamburgers should be crunchy.

That's weird and sorta like my tomato problem. Also, 100 books on chess and yet, you haven't really played? How odd.
??
I love these kinds of posts because I think all of us can get so caught up in how much we disagree and not enough time exploring our similarities.

Oh yeah, I collect tickets too because I put them in my scrapbooks. I gt mad if I lose them.
I wish I had the funds to buy as many books and movies as I want. You're lucky.

CyberKitten said...

800+ books eh....

Just starting out then? I have more than that in my 'to read' pile... (chuckle).

dbackdad said...

Sadie,
I play chess ... but just on the computer. My wife doesn't like chess. I'll play my dad about once a year. But, you're right ... definitely odd.

Cyberkitten,
Sounds like I need to check out your book collection. It's funny how we're in the "digital age" but books are as popular as ever. I'd be interested in hearing some of the books you've read lately. I get stuck in a rut with what I choose to read, so it's nice to get some input from others.

CyberKitten said...

Well.. I'm just about to finish 'Changing Planes' by Ursula LeGuin which was quirky & interesting. My bedtime reading ATM is 'The Pearly Gates of Cyberspace' by Margaret Wertheim - about the different views of space from the Middle Ages to the Present. I actually have 10 books by my bedside & decide what I'm in the mood for each night.

dbackdad said...

Very nice. I have read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy in the past and have read LeGuin before. The Margaret Wertheim books sounds interesting. I'll have to get that.

CyberKitten said...

My fave LeGuin is 'The Dispossessed' Brilliant book. It influenced me greatly.

greatwhitebear said...

I also make sure I read every book i start. But if I think it's really bad, I'll rip out each page as I read it, so nobody else will have to suffer through it!

CyberKitten said...

Life is FAR too short to read bad books....

I do my best to buy books that I have a good chance of finishing... Doing pretty good so far.

Jewish Atheist said...

I play chess too, but I only have 5-10 books. :) Do you have an online rating, dbackdad? I'm about 1600.

dbackdad said...

JA,

I do not. Where online do you generally play? I need to get back in the practice of playing more.

Jewish Atheist said...

I use winboard to connect to freechess.org, the Free Internet Chess Server. I like to play super-fast.

dbackdad said...

I've been there but it's been years. I'll check it out. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me.