Monday, October 10, 2005

Sierra Club Service Trip -- Elgin, AZ

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive". -- Harold Whitman (told to me by new dear friend Cat Hayden)


My vacation/service trip with the Sierra Club was a rousing success. Not only did I have a great time, I feel that we did some good.


During last week, a group of 10 Sierra Club members stayed and volunteered at an Audubon Society Research Ranch in southern Arizona. Our work consisted of upgrading and repairing fences on the property so as to allow the local species (deer and pronghorn) to pass the boundaries without being injured. In addition, we collected native grass seeds and transplanted native grasses into areas where they had been pushed out by exotic plants.


We had several guest speakers that had knowledge that placed them at the top of their fields. But the most impressive thing about them was their enthusiasm and willingness to give us some of that knowledge. The first was Ron Probst of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory. He presented a slide show and afterwards we observed firsthand many celestial objects with the telescope that he had brought. I'm a big science/space nut and I was in my element with this speaker.


The next speaker was Homer Hansen, an environmental scientist but whose hobbies (and vast knowledge) extend way beyond that. Besides being on many committees in Southern Arizona concerning environmental issues, he is an expert on bats and birds. He's the chairman of the Wings over Wilcox, an annual bird and nature festival in Wilcox, Arizona. On this day, he spoke to us about Sky Islands."The Sky Islands are forested mountain ranges surrounded by seas of desert and grassland." Southeastern Arizona is one of the preeminent places on Earth for this. It was a very interesting talk and afterwards he led us on a walk where he explained some of the importance of sky islands and their effect on species diversity of plants and animals.

On our off day, we visited Garden Canyon within the Fort Huachuca Army base. We hiked, observed pictograph drawings on the mountainsides and saw several native species.


But don't be fooled into thinking the whole week was just all goody-goody stuff and learning. I had an absolute blast because of the items listed above but also because I met some incredible people. The other members (and leaders) of my group were not only extremely successful in their own careers, but also intelligent, well-traveled (about half the group lived abroad at one time or another), civic minded (most had done service trips before), funny (able to jump between Fellini and Farrelly brothers without skipping a beat) and hard-working. We exceeded both the expectations of Audubon and Sierra Club in how much we got done. Plus, we had great food and propped up the economy of Sonoita, Arizona with our consumption of alcohol. I value the friendships I developed on this trip and will undoubtedly see these people again in the future.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! That sounds like great fun. There's no place like that close to Chicago, the closest might be Starved Rock (west) or Cahokia Mounds (down state), but they're nowhere near that exciting...

Sadie Lou said...

That sounds great. I am not happy about that picture of the spider. Did you snap that pic yourself? What in the hell kind of spider is that?

dbackdad said...

That's a tarantula (sp?). I was only a couple of feet from him when I took the picture. There were about a half dozen of us pretty close. Tarantula's are actually not that dangerous.

Sadie Lou said...

Okay, not that dangerous, sure--would I care about that if it were close to me?
No.
It's a giant spider and that is gross.

JCMasterpiece said...

I'd rather be faced with a tarantula than a black widow any day

Laura said...

call me crazy, but I don't mind tarantulas... I've had one crawl on my arm before... But regular spiders creep me out... go figure. Though I wouldn't want to happen upon a tarantula in my home...

Sadie Lou said...

My Grandfather in law woke up one night to use the bathroom and saw this huge black thing in the hallway. Seeing as how his grandkids were at his house playing that day, he thought it was a plastic spider. When he reached down to pick it up, the plastic spider moved. He nonchalantly picked up the giant spider with toilet paper and proceeded to carry it into the kitchen where he promptly threw it in the garbage disposal and turned it on. That is why my husband's grandpa is a hero in book.