Thursday, October 13, 2005

Wag the Dog

Is it just me, or is this just a little too like Wag the Dog:

Bush Teleconference With Soldiers Staged



What does it say about your democracy when the only way that you can speak to the people is by carefully creating the situation and coaching the response?

**UPDATE** More from Think Progress indicates that even the questions themselves were staged:
Video: Pentagon Aide Admits Having “Drilled Through” Questions For Photo-Op



Speaking of polticial movies, what are some of your faves? Mine in no particular order:

Bob Roberts
Bulworth
Fahrenheit 9/11
Dr. Strangelove
Wag the Dog
Bowling for Columbine
Election
All the President's Men
Primary Colors
JFK
Fog of War

It's a pretty broad definition. Technically, Schindler's List (one of my all-time favorite movies) could be considered political. But I'm trying to confine the list to those directly associated with politicians or the government.

Also, you'll have to forgive me for not including the following ... but I've yet to see them (I know ... shoot me):

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Manchurian Candidate
Candidate
Citizen Kane

5 comments:

Jewish Atheist said...

The War Room, a documentary of the first Clinton presidential campaign, is great.

dbackdad said...

I forgot about that one. You're right ... it's very good. Carville is always entertaining.

Laura said...

I read about that on think progress also... I am so tired of all this bullshit. Why can't they bring some real "honor and integrity" and be honest with us for once? I'm just sick of it.

Sadie Lou said...

I loved election. That was a brilliantly acted movie by Matthew Broderick--if not painful.
I've tried to watch Michael Moore's movies but they just get my blood boiling. I can't stand that man. If it was someone else presenting the case--maybe.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

This is FOR SURE a "wage the dog" event.

My favorite political movie? It's a tie between: Bowling for Columbine and Bulworth.