Saturday, April 08, 2006

I'm Confused


I'm not going to beat a dead horse with the Libby/Bush classified leak thing ... as all of us have read plenty about it. But could you guys clear a few things up for me? Riddle me this:

Why does the Right make a big deal about someone coming across the border to get a sub-minimum wage job with no benefits while lauding crooks like Kenneth Lay who bilked thousands of people of millions of dollars of retirement funds?

Why is lying about a consensual sexual encounter (Clinton) a bigger problem than consistently and repeatedly lying about the release of classified information for political gain?

Why are corrupt men (Abramoff, DeLay) whose string of behavior ranges from unethical(political pranks) to illegal(fraud, political favors, possible murder) viewed admiringly by Republicans?

You know why? They use the cloak of religiosity and piety and fool a surprisingly large number of Christians. As Abramoff has said: God had chosen him to return American to a "biblical worldview." And they lap it up.

People that voted for Bush and continue to give him a free pass because of religion or some perceived strength he has in fighting terrorism are not merely harmless dupes. They are complicit and are as guilty as those carrying out the crimes.

Cyberkitten had a great quote in a recent comment:

"In order for evil to prosper, it is enough that good men do nothing".

In my view, people that continue to stand by are not good men. You cannot claim to be pious and allow this to continue.

3 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

Excellent, excellent post! I was going to say that the answer to some of your questions may simply be that Republicans have no souls. but rather than be glib....

40% of the Republican base is populated by people whose theology includes a very infantile view of morality, that is, morality equates with sex. So it is easy to over look thievery, murder, deceit, torture, etc., so long as you're not screwing another guy, or having an extramarital affair.

These same people in large part have been convinced that Bush was chosen by God to lead this country (and the world). To abandon Bush and Co. would be to admit that their spiritual leaders were wrong, and beg the question what else were they wrong about. Or worse, call into question God's competence, or even his existence.

If you were someone who believes you are incapable of handling your own life without supernatural guidance, to even think about those possibilities would be unnerving, to say the least. Best not think about them, lest you be tempted to stray.

Sadie Lou said...

You cannot claim to be pious and allow this to continue.

True.
For me, personally, I talk with my vote. I do not claim to be pious and then rant about my authority, either.
:)

dbackdad said...

Sadie said, "For me, personally, I talk with my vote."

Well said. For or against something, that's all that I ask. That people let their voices be heard.