Sunday, August 14, 2005

Machinist

I watched one messed-up movie last night, called the Machinist. Without giving too much away, it tells the story of an insomniac machinist who has not slept in a year. Due to his lack of sleep, he becomes increasingingly paranoid. The narrative basically follows his attempts at figuring out who is after him (real or imagined).

It reminded me a lot of Memento because of the main character's disorientation with time and his surroundings. In Memento, the ailment was lack of long-term memory. In the Machinist, it is extreme insomnia.



The Machinist is also remininiscent of Hitchcock movies, especially Vertigo. Ostensibly it's a mystery, but ultimately the truth that is discovered says more about the main character than anything else.

The physical transformation of Christian Bale required for this movie makes that of Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary piddling in comparison. He went down to 120 pounds. In comparison, he weighed 220 when filming Batman Begins. He was so emaciated that he looked like a walking skeleton. He definitely took method acting to the next level ... a la Robert De Niro.

I recommend it but only if you like depressing character studies. I do.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, I've heard of this movie. I saw parts of it at a nightclub (neo) in Chicago - they play movies above the bar as a backdrop to the music. It's always something totally messed up like this, or rollerball or something.

Sadie Lou said...

I did a review on this movie as well. I was afraid that this movie was going to go further than I was willing to go. There were some scenes that eluded to something I thought was going to happen and then I was pleasently surprised it didn't go THERE. I really enjoyed Bale's performance. He is an astoundingly versatile actor. I saw this movie almost back to back with Batman Begins. He's impressive. I agree that The Machinist has a Hitchcock feel to it.

dbackdad said...

Sadie,

I had to hunt a bit to find your review but I did. I agree with your review. A very creepy movie but very rewarding. Christian Bale is a very underrated actor.

Sadie Lou said...

He'll get his. I swear it. All he needs is a few big awards under his belt.
He hasn't even been nominated for anything at the Golden Globes, SAG or Oscars, yet. When he does--it'll be a long time coming. He's been doing this since, what? Disney's movie, Newsies?